Why is Spread A Bale unique?
Spread-a-Bale is a simple, “does-what-it-says-on-the-label”, piece of farm machinery.
Spread-a-Bale’s advantage are:
• Only requires one tractor/loader
• Very quick, simple attach and detach
• Only requires 55 litres of oil flow, double acting
• Easily and quickly remove the bale string/wrapping
• Spread a bale effortlessly in under 45 seconds
• Customers report using 50% less straw
• Customers report labour/time savings of 75%
• No chopping results in minimal dust generation
• Less dust reduces animal health problems and costs
• Low machine depreciation and high resale values
• Very low maintenance and running costs
• Lower straw usage means less manure handling costs
• Spread-a-Bale owners are very happy and more profitable.
Who Do You Need to Talk to?
UK, Eire & Eastern Europe Please go to the Spread-a-Bale page of Thos Storey Fabrications Ltd - www.thos-storey.co.uk/spread-a-bale – who are our manufacturing and distribution partner for the UK, Eire and Eastern Europe.
For all other enquiries, please use the Contact Us tab.
Spread-A-Bale was invented in the mid 1990s by Cheshire dairy farmer Michael Hughes. He was unhappy with the danger of injury to cattle in his Mickerra Elite Breeding Programme herd by the chopper blowers he had been using to bed cattle down:
“I had animals that were worth many thousands of pounds the moment they were born. As well as spreading straw safely, I was keen to cut the time and labour involved in the job and make better use of valuable straw – a range of benefits I felt would appeal to pretty well all livestock farmers!
The first patents for the Spread-a-Bale were lodged in 1996.
Our Manufacturing & Distribution Partner
We are proud to work in association with Thos Storey Fabrications Ltd, who are a well-established, manufacturing company based in Manchester, UK. Our successful partnership has seen the development of the ‘M’ Range of machines. In 2013 Thos Storey was awarded the license to both market and distribute Spread-a-Bale products throughout the UK, Eire and Eastern Europe. For all enquiries please go to www.thos-storey.co.uk/spread-a-bale.
Spread-a-Bale has adopted a rigorous Patent Protection program and has the following patents in place:
- European Patent: 944300 granted June 2003
- Australian Patent: 2006200088 granted 2009
- New Zealand Patent: 517022 granted 2005
We are continually developing our ideas and patent protection under the Patent Corporation Trust – PCT GB/2013/000019
Spread-a-Bale is a registered trademark.
After receiving the original patent in 1996, Michael continued to develop the Spread-a-Bale, and was placed runner up in MAFF’s “Science into practice” awards in 1998.
The machine was launched at the European Dairy Farming Event in 2001, where it won the Prince Philip Award for the best new machine at the event.
In 2006 it won the most prestigious award for machinery there is – the RASE Gold Medal. This is only awarded to machines that include significant innovations and are proven to offer farmers significant practical advantages.
The current M range features three models – the Mini, the Midi and the Maxi. All new models have the option(s) to be mounted sideways, so as to enable you to drive forwards down a passageway while spreading straw in either a left or right direction across your stock pen. All models are supplied as standard with one set of forward mounted quick attach brackets.
Please see the “Model selector” Tab to select the appropriate machine for your bale requirements